Is college a cool career in your future? Do research before deciding

Higher education has so many choices. Here's some ideas for aspiring professionals.

Bryanna Dawson, Reporter

Throughout four years of high school, students attempt to prepare themselves to take on college – and then the real world. The process, however, starts in junior year when students begin to think about what professions they are interested in and what colleges they want to attend. College is the first step toward adulthood, and from there, it is becoming a professional in a worthwhile vocation.

There are many different avenues a student can go down professionally. Here are some professions that you can major in at college.

Nursing

Undergraduate Degrees

Nursing is one of the top majors in the U.S. today. The popularity had grown because of the versatility of the profession.

Students can earn an associate’s degree & bachelor’s degree in nursing. With the associate’s degree, like one at Keiser University, a student obtains a Nursing, A.S. With a bachelor’s degree, there are more options. Students have the choice of acquiring a Nursing Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, a Nursing FastTrack BSN, and a Nursing Accelerated BSN. The program is designed for Registered Nurses (RN). Students need to complete 12 months to go from an RN to BSN.

Master’s Degrees

With a Nursing Master’s degree, a student can specialize in Nurse Anesthesia, Nursing online and Family Practitioner. Degrees in Nurse Anesthesia and online can also be acquired through a Doctoral degree program.

Criminal Justice and Legal Studies

Undergraduate Degrees

With an Associate’s Degree, students get to study Criminal Scene Technology, Criminal Justice, Homeland Security, and Paralegal Studies. In college, Criminal justice and Legal studies can lead students into law professions such as lawyer, F.B.I. Agent, and many more. For Criminal Justice and Legal studies, to earn a Bachelor’s degree, a student can major or study in:

• Criminal Justice
  • Cyber Forensics/Information Security
  • Financial Crime Investigation
  • Forensic Investigations
  • Homeland Security
  • Law Enforcement Operations
  • Legal Studies
  • Political Science
  • Public Administration

With a degree in Criminal Justice, career opportunities range from working in federal and state agencies, local law enforcement, educational institutions, court systems, private law enforcement and investigation, organizational leadership

Business Management

Business Management courses online at Phoenix University are 5-to-6-week intervals. Obtaining a degree online allows students to understand how companies come up with their business strategies. Students can also get a Master’s Degree in Business Management. At Phoenix University, classes are on campus or online. A 20-month long program is 39 credit hours. It is $698 per credit hour.

Pursuing this degree allows students to learn essential skills such as management strategies, accounting and financial decision-making, negotiation and persuasive communication skills, business law and informational technology for entrepreneurs and leaders

To learn more about the college you want to go to, search online and look into any programs that interest you and see what they have to offer.