Are gender stereotypes in movies accurate?

Movie violence shown as the only way to peace - if you're a man.

Paola Andujar, Columnist

Movies have been around for decades, and the style and making of movies have hugely improved. But it seems one aspect of movie making has always been the same.

Movies seem to depict men and woman very differently. Men are usually brave and strong and the hero while the woman falls behind. And when a woman is considered a hero, it always includes so much violence.

A man once asked himself why does a hero always have to be violent? Why can’t a hero win the challenge with peace and friendship? This same man compared the Wizard of Oz with Star Wars. Star Wars is a science fiction film with many challenges and battles, the hero of these movies is Luke Skywalker, a young boy who just recently discovered his abilities.

Luke won with violence and got what he wanted in the end. With the Wizard of Oz, the main character or ‘hero’ is Dorothy, a young girl from Kansas. She ‘wins the battle’ not with violence, but friendship and peace. She does not kill the witch or anyone for that matter, but she learns to make friends and help overcome the witch at the end.

Why did these movies depict men and woman and the battle so differently? Today, more movies are like Star Wars, using violence seems like a very productive way of getting things done. When there’s a female ‘hero’ or male ‘hero’ in a movie today, violence is their first and only resort.

Is this set off a good example for us? Growing up watching these movies, depicting violence as the only way to win, it stays in our brain.

For decades, movies have shown women as the damsel in distress, a poor soul that needs saving. And men would be the hero’s that would defeat the bad guy and get the girl at the end. But does it always work this way?

This depiction of women in movies has affected young girls today. Girls tend to be more insecure about themselves than most boys. Could movies play a part in that?

I asked some people what they thought of the topic:

Q: Do you believe the movies we watch today affect us in any way?

A: “Yes, because it creates an imagination-What kind of imagination? Well, it depends on the movie, to be honest.” – Nayeli Rodriguez, sophomore

Q: Do you think men and woman are depicted as equals in films made today?

A: “No, since most movies show men as the hero.” – Doel Montes, sophomore

A: “Honestly, in most movies, men and women aren’t always equal.” -Nayeli Rodriguez, sophomore

Q: Why do you think men are usually the ones made to be the hero?

A: “Because it tells how females always need saving.” -Doel Montes, sophomore

It seems as though most people notice this is movies but go along with it. It might seem like something small, something that couldn’t possibly affect the future. But what if it could? What if the movies we watch today, affect our behaviors tomorrow?