Eagle grapplers improving, winning as a family

Back to Article
Back to Article

Angelique Cuadrado, Reporter

That intense moment when your time comes to go on the mat. You break your first drop of sweat showing how excited you are. It starts to drip down your face and you get this rush that takes over when you’re about to wrestle your opponent. Members of the Poinciana High wrestling team had their first taste of that sweat when they had their first wrestling meet on Dec. 1st.

The team quickly became a family and supported each other during the meet.

“The team last year had about seven wrestlers and this year we have over 30 wrestlers,” said coach Randall Beeken.

The team cheered on each player whether they won or lost. The team has a lot of growing to do since there are a lot of new additions to the team.

“We finally won a dual meet after going to the previous year and not winning,” says sophomore Levi Lewis.

The team went up against University High and they won that match. The team came up short by two pins against Dr. Phillips.

Coach Jerry Bazilme’s expectations are “for this wrestling school year for the boys’ team to place second at districts, one male to become a state qualifier and one female to place at states.”

The boys wrestling squad is making good progress so far and should be able to get to where their coach expects them to go.

The female wrestlers tried their best to win a dual match against Liberty, but they lost. The boys’ team will be going against Liberty again on their senior night, at home, on January 30th. They put the players that players that didn’t have a chance to play at the last meet.

The players are always doing their best to do what they have to do in order to get better and succeed as a not only a team but as a family.