The Point

‘Nappily’ a story about self respect

Leida Pereira, Columnist

Nappily Ever After is a 2018 American romantic comedy film directed by Haifaa al-Mansour and stars Sanaa Lathan and Ernie Hudson. The movie is about this little girl named Violet Jones. Jones has different hair from everybody. She gets bullied for how it looks. To keep her daughter from everyday torment, her mom would straighten her hair every day and not let her ruin her hair because she had to be perfect. So, Violet grows up thinking she has to do everything perfectly and be perfect.

Lathan plays the role of Violet perfectly. The scenery of the movie and how the story leads from one thing to another is good because it all leads back to her. She finds out she can’t be perfect because on her wedding day some hairdressers mess up her hair and since that everything starts going downhill.

This movie teaches us about women self-love beauty and so much more. Violets confidence went from zero to 100 real quick. She cut her hair and started doing her thing. She showed that people do not have to perfect for anyone. We are already perfect in our own way.

More people should watch this movie, especially younger children, they could also learn from this movie this could be a lesson to them about self-love and respect.