The Point

DECA Club is Money

PHS club helps run school bank, raises money with GameCon.

Back to Article
Back to Article

DECA Club is Money

Members of PHS DECA Club play board games during the 18-hour GameCon Marathon. The club, which raised $1,200 for Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital, is the financial club at PHS.

Leida Pereira, Reporter

DECA is the financial and business club at Poinciana High School. DECA helps students with how to work with and manage money. It’s a career-ready club as the DECA club helps run the CFE bank within the high school. A number of students are part of the club, which is run by teacher Ramon Arroyo.

Along with running the bank, DECA students also assist with concessions during football and basketball games and hold fundraisers. Recently, DECA partnered with the Arnold Palmer Children’s Hospital in the Extra Life Marathon for Game Con held at PHS. The event, which saw 30 students play board and video games for 18 straight hours, raised $1,200 for the children’s hospital.

The most experienced students at PHS help DECA run the internal bank. Students and teachers can go in with debit or credit cards from outside of school deposit and withdraw money. In the bank, there is a paper that you can fill out and order a debit card with the school’s logo on it and transfer money into and out of it. The debit card can be used outside of school and can be used to go online shopping.

DECA also does competitions with other schools around the county. Students compete with other students on how they would take care of their customers. Winners of these competitions earn money.

DECA helps students gain the necessary skills to have in the 21st century. Many DECA students become confident as it impacts their lives in many positive ways. DECA currently has over 215,000 members nationwide and many compete for prizes, money and also for future jobs and scholarships.