The Point

Having a desire for AVID

The college readiness class helps keep PHS students on the path toward higher learning

AVID teachers Kimberly Holt, Vince Dyer and Teresa Haderle keep AVID students focused on preparing for college and beyond.

Bu Hailey Dillard and Johvan Merilus, Reporter

AVID is a non-profit organization that drives students for college readiness, overcome obstacles and achieve success. They graduate and attend college at higher rates, but more importantly, they can think critically, collaborate, and set high expectations to confidently conquer the challenges that await them.

In 47 states across the U.S., AVID provides rigorous and student-centered learning environments. This leaves people to wonder, what evidence proves that the AVID program is such a success?

Approximately 10,000 students have graduated from AVID programs nationwide and the program has been thoroughly researched by a variety of entities. Over 90 percent of AVID’s graduates attend college and 89 percent of those students are still in college after 2 years.

Zamaiya Marquez, an AVID student at Poinciana High School said taking the AVID class has helped her immensely in preparing for her core and elective classes.

“It keeps me organized and helps me with the requirements as of getting into college along with helping me keep my grades I check,” Marquez said. “I feel like my classes would be a lot harder for me because I’d have no tutorials, have any idea of what college to go to or what’s the requirements on applying.”

Marquez also mentioned the camaraderie in the class as a strong selling point to anyone thinking about attending AVID during their high school career.

“AVID is like a big family, so I thought it would be a good experience and helps by using tutors in case I have a problem in one of my classes,” Marquez exclaimed. “(The class has been) helpful because not only is it fun, but it helps in different ways such as better note-taking (through Cornell notes), college research, and getting help from classes that I struggle in.”

Marquez used the word tutorials a lot. When she refers to tutorials, she means TRFs, which stands for tutorial request forms. TRFs create a deeper understanding of concepts covered in core classes and develop the skills necessary to become self-directed learners.

An overall view of AVID is that it helps you stay organized, prepares you for college, creates better ways of note taking, staying organized, most importantly become a better student.

Marquez agrees.

“Don’t be discouraged because you have to carry a binder and take notes with tutorials because, in the long run, it will help you the most by keeping you on track and allowing you to experience new things,” said Marquez.