The Point

The Meaning Behind Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Paola Andujar, Reporter

October is known for being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, however many people question the meaning behind it.

Breast Cancer Awareness month is an annual health campaign that is organized by major Breast Cancer charities in October to raise awareness of the illness and raise money to improve research on its cause, prevention, cure etc.
The campaign also educates people on the importance of early screening and tests while also helping those affected by the illness by reaching out and supporting them.

The support system is essential for those who have been diagnosed. Wanda Tiru, a Breast Cancer survivor, has first hand experience with the devastation.

“It was scary at first, but I had my family with me to help me.” Tiru stated.

The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month was founded in 1985 as a partnership between the American Cancer Society and the Pharmaceutical Division of the Imperial Chemical Industries. The pink ribbon was established in 1993 as well as the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. The color pink  represents a big part of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

According to Tiru, the pink ribbon is an empowering symbol.

“I always try to wear one this month, I feel stronger with it in a way.” Tiru stated.

As the month of October continues, people are encouraged to keep in mind the struggle that many of these patients must endure along with their families and to offer their support when they can.