The Point

‘To All the Boys’ a cozy good time

Paola Andujar, Columnist

“To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” is a Netflix original film which was released in August. The movie, based on novel written by Jenny Han, revolves around the life of teenager Lara Jean Covey, who fantasizes about love and romance. She writes letters to all her major crushes but never sends them out, only keeps them to remind herself how powerful her emotions can be. But now, the letters are out, sent to all five boys.

When Peter Kavinsky receives his letter, he has a plan in mind. He proposes a deal with Lara Jean, to which she eventually agrees. Then the drama truly begins. If you think the letters getting out was bad, things are about to get much, much worse. The entire movie was an emotional rollercoaster, with sad moments to carefree elation.

The acting was very well done, specifically by the actress who played Lara Jean, Lana Condor. There were quite a few moments throughout the film that were improvised, many of those were Lara Jean’s quirky facial expressions. Those small add-ons really added to the film.

In my opinion, the movie was one of the best Netflix original films I’ve ever seen. Everything from the casting to the scenery to the moral of the story. Condor perfectly represented a nerdy yet adorable teenage girl in the role of Lara Jean. She truly represents the young dreamers out there, stuck in a fantasy, reading and writing their own world.

Peter, played by actor Noah Centineo, represented the attractive popular jock who has a bit of a soft side. His warm smile and caring attitude really makes everyone’s heart go ‘whoosh’. His character exemplified the true meaning of a teenage heartthrob. His acting in this film was spot on.

The movie also shows the importance of family, Lara Jean has a wonderful relationship with her two sisters, Kitty and Margot. With Margot just going away for college, Lara Jean is stuck being the older sister in the house. It was very sweet to see the teenage girls so close to their father as well. The passing of their mother at a young age bonded them. This seemingly minor detail adds to the sweet film, instead of most movies which made sibling rivalry the main focus of the household, this film highlights how one shouldn’t take advantage of their loved ones.

As well as a good overall plot, the movie makes a few references to older classic movies. As Lara Jean makes Peter watch ‘Sixteen Candles’ and Peter makes Lara Jean watch ‘Fight Club’. And with Lara Jean continuing to make references to ‘James Dean’ it was “adorkable” in every sense of the word.

Maybe it’s just me, being a sucker for a good teen romance movie, but this movie is definitely worth the watch. The movie is overall really sweet and heart-warming. It’s the type of movie that makes you want to sit on a couch, covered with a mountain of blankets and pillows. Pop some popcorn and watch it on a rainy day.