The Point

‘Burgess’ lacks bite

Netflix take on catfishing doesn't land the big one

HOLLYWOOD, CA - AUGUST 30:  Shannon Purser  and Noah Centineo attend the Premiere Of Netflix's

HOLLYWOOD, CA - AUGUST 30: Shannon Purser and Noah Centineo attend the Premiere Of Netflix's "Sierra Burgess Is A Loser" at ArcLight Hollywood on August 30, 2018 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Paola Andujar, Columnist

“Sierra Burgess is a Loser” is Netflix entry into the world of catfishing. Catfishing, to those not in the know, is when a person creates a fake persona online in order to trick people into long distance romantic relationships. After a long amount of time, the victim is invited to meet their “internet crush” which usually ends in humiliation.

Considering the heavy material, ‘Sierra Burgess is a Loser’ had a lot to live up to. Sadly, it doesn’t.

The lead, played by ‘Stranger Things’ actress Shannon Purser, is a nerdy teenage girl with a famous author as a father and a motivational speaker as a mother. Because of this, Sierra has never cared much for her looks or her weight. She is happy and content with herself and she is proud of her accomplishments.

Things take a turn in her perfect life when a mysterious boy messages her, and she begins to develop romantic feelings. The mystery man believes she is someone else, a cruel, and of course extremely popular girl from her school and plot thickens from there.

The idea of the film was pretty sweet. The overall idea of finding beauty within yourself even when everyone else in the world seems to be against you is quite fascinating and also a bit relatable for these times. However, the acting was not the best. At some point I just wanted to cringe, their facial expressions and changes in tone didn’t seem to fit with the scenery. All in all, it seemed a bit rushed.

The filmography wasn’t the best either, with random shots and irrelevant details. There was a lot of filler material just to make the movie longer than it really should have been. Hack off about 20 minutes (or fill that time with relevant material) and this movie would have been fine.

Also, you couldn’t throw a stone without hitting a teenage movie cliché. You could see what was coming from a mile away. There was nothing very special about this film, it was just like every other high school movie out there.

In conclusion, although the movie had a good message, the overall production could have been much better. When making a film about the teenage lifestyle, and trying to make it relatable to teenagers all around the world, you have to be very careful. You have to put yourselves in their shoes, seeing things from their point of view. If not, nothing will truly make sense.

I watched this movie with very high expectations and was unfortunately disappointed. The entire movie was just romanticizing catfishing with Sierra Burgess trying to find herself while pretending to be someone else. I guess you could that about the film as well.