Back to Article
Back to Article

Poinciana Marks Its Fifth Year With College Decision Day

May 1, 2018

Members of the Poinciana community descended upon the auditorium Tuesday to celebrate seniors who committed to college, the armed forces or the workforce.

This event is known as national college decision day, which is held every year on May 1.

Poinciana adds its own twist by having students sign a certificate that commits them to a college that they were accepted into, making it similar to national signing day, which is for student athletes.

Poinciana has held the event every year since 2014, making it a tradition.

College and Career counselor Anthony Cook, who was in charge of the event, reported that this year was especially significant since there were more students being accepted into a four-year college compared to previous years.

“Over the last four years, we started at seven percent and this year we’re at 27 percent,” Cook said. “That’s a big jump.”

The number of students going to a four-year college not only increased this year, but the number of those going to technical schools and into the armed forces did too.

While those numbers rose, the number of students going to Valencia College decreased.

Valencia College is a school located locally that allows students to transfer to the University of Central Florida after they get their Associate’s degree. It receives a high number of graduates from Poinciana every year, but this year was a little different.

“We still see a lot of students going to Valencia, but this year we decreased to 147 compared to last year’s 270 something,” Cook said. “Which has its pros since we’re seeing students pursue a more wide variety of post-secondary plans.”

Regardless of post-secondary plans, Cook is thrilled for seniors.

“It’s just exciting to see students expanding their education or going straight into the military or workforce,” Cook said. “In general, it’s just good seeing students have a plan.”

Senior Noah Seppanen plans to attend the University of Florida and major in general theater.

“When I found out I got accepted into UF, my family and I cried,” Seppanen said. “My brother goes to UF, so I’ll follow in his footsteps and help create a legacy.”

Senior Destiny Cruz also plans to attend a Florida University, the University of Central Florida, and major in nursing.

For Cruz, the event was more than just committing to a college, it was moment to remember.

“It felt great to be formally recognized,” Cruz said.

This event is not only important for students, but also for the Poinciana community.

“It builds our community up,” Cook said. “More parents attend this event each and every year. Underclassmen also help put it together.”

“It just creates this tradition that we can’t ignore.”

The Point • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in