Eagles’ Baseball Holds a Promising Future

April 26, 2018

Most might think the baseball season this year was not too impressive, but for those who have watched the program struggle the last several years, there is much to celebrate.

Last year, the Eagles lost their head coach at the beginning of the season and didn’t even have enough players to compete in the last five games of the season. They had to forfeit.

A new head coach who said he is committed to staying with the program was hired. More than 30 athletes tried out – a number so large, that a junior varsity squad was created. The coaching staff also includes three assistant coaches, which is two more than last year.

Indeed, the story of Eagle baseball isn’t told in a win-loss record. The story isn’t told in a championship. This year’s story is told with the firm foundation that has been created and the outlook, which appears to be bright.

Most of the starters are underclassmen who will be returning next year.

Head Coach Derek Petrangeli said he is not going anywhere.

“I’m committed,” Petrangeli said. “We’ve had a lot of coaching changes last year, but we have a staff in place now that will see this through.”

Petrangeli said the strength of the team is the diversity.

“So many players come from Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic and have been playing their whole lives,” he said. “And most of them will be back next year.”

Sophomore Yan Maldonado echoed Petrangeli.

“Were not winning a lot of games right now because we have so many young players,” he said. “In one or two years, the freshmen will mature and the team will have a lot of potential.”

“Chemistry is something every team takes years to build and obviously that’s something we need to work on with our younger players,” Patrangeli said.

“A big achievement was hitting double plays in high school, which is rare at this level,” he said.

The Point • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in