The Point

Poinciana Students Cope After Four Deaths In 10 Months

Isiah Chery is one of four current and former Eagles who have lost their life this year.

File Photo

File Photo

Adriana Santiago, Reporter

Chello McArthur will never sing with Isiah Chery again. Ivonette Velez will never spend time with her sister Tania again. Fabiola Cosme will never cheer another game under the Friday night lights. Miguel Valle will never play another basketball game with Joyvan Ventura.

Poinciana High School students have experienced the death of four fellow Eagles in the last 10 months. That is one loss of life every 10 weeks.

The tragedies come in different forms but leave the same sentiment behind – grief and a profound feeling of uncertainty.

Many students might feel that it could have been any of them.

The four current and former Eagles leave behind friends and family left to wonder forever what could have been.

A mother will never hold their child again.

According to the Center for Disease Control, an average of 251 teenagers die in the United States every year, but those statistics fail to demonstrate the grief family and friends of the victims go through.

Isiah Chery graduated from Poinciana in 2016. His death stunned the Poinciana community after a fatal automobile accident.

His senior class voted him “Life of the Party” in the yearbook. His senior quote was, “I have a dream”.

A 2014 article in The Point highlighted Chery and an acapella group that he founded. The group would sing locally.

“He was always singing,” said MacArthur, who was also in choir and became a close friend of Chery’s. “Every time he walked into class he wanted to do a duet with me.”

Fabiola Cosme graduated the same year as Chery. She died at 19 after a battle with type 1 diabetes.

Even after two years, current students still remember her performances at pep rallies and football games with the cheerleading team.

Cosme took yearbook for two years.

“Fabi was active in the school community, which made her a perfect reporter for the yearbook,” said Jim Ellis, yearbook adviser. “She is greatly missed.”

Current senior Hannah Brooks remembers the impact Cosme had.

“Everyone knew her for a big smile and her long, beautiful eyelashes,” Brooks said. “She always remained positive despite life’s ups and downs.”

Joyvan Ventura died just weeks from beginning his senior year in a tragic hit and run accident.

Ventura alongside with his friends Miguel Valle and Giovanni Acevedo were known as the“Three Musketeers”.

“He was like a brother to me,” Gio said.

In a testament to his selflessness Ventura shared his dreams with Valle, “He told me he wanted to graduate from high school – not for him but for his mother,” Miguel said.

Another Eagle, Tania Mendez, had cerebral palsy and passed away after a battle with the flu.

Her sister Ivonette Velez remembers her as a curious child who was always happy as long as the television was on.

“The biggest change was no longer following the routine we had for her” said Velez. “Now it has finally settled that this person which meant so much isn’t here.”