The Point

REVIEW: For Big K.R.I.T. Fans ‘4eva’ is Right Now

Back to Article
Back to Article

Arthur Welch, Managing Editor

Mississippi rapper and producer Justin Scott, better known by his stage name Big K.R.I.T., is back with his third album, 4eva is a Mighty Long Time.

This hour and a half long 22-track behemoth of a double album is easily K.R.I.T.’s most ambitious and creative project to date, blowing his previous projects completely out of water in terms of both quality and versatility.

Arthur Welch

Many of the qualities that can be attributed to this albums greatness is easily summed up by K.R.I.T.’s infectious hooks, classy production style, and outstanding performances all throughout this record.

To me, K.R.I.T. has always been an artist who can strike a perfect balance of thoughtful lyricism and loud bombastic bangers you can’t help but bop your head to.

I feel that both of these traits are amplified with this album to their maximum, as most of the bangers come on the first half of the album, and the most insightful, introspective songs appearing on the second.

Considering that this album is incredibly long for a hip-hop record of today’s standards, I didn’t really see this as a tough listen.

If there’s one thing K.R.I.T.’s good at, it’s making an album flow smoothly from track to track. With one exception: I feel that each song justifies its own length. K.R.I.T.’s vocals in general come off as very passionate and soulful, and all of his various collaborators contribute to each song quite beautifully.

There’s a fantastic guest verse from CeeLo Green on the song “Get Up 2 Come Down” that I certainly didn’t anticipate to be good at all. I also love the singing on the hook of “Miss Georgia Fornia” from Joi. That song, in particular, is probably my favorite song on the entire record; I find myself enjoying it more and more with each listen.

As for the songs I didn’t care for as much, there are only three. I felt that the song “1999” featuring Lloyd is a bit underwritten and the autotune comes off as a bit obnoxious after a few listens. The song “Layup,” while lyrically stellar, does go on for a little too long, in my opinion.

I feel like this could’ve been shortened to a three-minute track instead of four and a half. Lastly, the song “Everlasting” is bland overall. Both lyrically and instrumentally, it’s forgettable, and K.R.I.T. comes off as amateurish and sloppy in his delivery.

However, despite it’s shortcomings, I definitely have more positives to say about this album than anything else. It’s comprised of everything that I’ve liked about K.R.I.T. in the past, but this time he sounds a lot more focused and animated. It’s few weaknesses can easily be overlooked, and the result is one of the best hip-hop albums 2017 has to offer.

8/10

Arthur Welch is a music columnist for The Point.