The Point

Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Senior+Becky+Beltran+and+freshman+Amarilis+Santiago-Ortiz+stand+with+a+sleigh+full+of+toys+that+were+donated.+The+toys+were+donated+to+children+in+the+community.+
Senior Becky Beltran and freshman Amarilis Santiago-Ortiz stand with a sleigh full of toys that were donated. The toys were donated to children in the community.

Alessandra Argueta

Alessandra Argueta

Leonor-Rose Walsh, Reporter

The students in Eagle’s Construction are constantly at work, striving to do their best with each new project.

Some even spend their lunch in the workshop, proving how dedicated they are to the program.

With SkillsUSA gearing up for another year, this program is still always at work for other projects.

This year they are working with Habitat for Humanity, where they’re building a house in Intercession City for a homeless woman free of charge.

Not to mention, the program almost guarantees a high paying career in the work industry after high school.

“I’ve had students making up to $100,000 that started this in high school,” said Instructor Irwin Inwood. “Even if students want to go to college, that’s fine. But if college doesn’t work out, they can always have something to fall back on.”

Inwood treats the class like a business.

They sell finished products and sign contracts to customers who want these students to work for them. Last year some students even worked on the new building and the renovated cafeteria.

But to some PHS students, namely juniors Hunter McCarthy and Kaleb Levan, it’s more of a family than a mere class.

“I look to Mr. Inwood like a father figure,” said McCarthy. “I talk to him about things I can’t talk to my own dad about because he’s not always around.”

Levan weighed in too.

“Mr. Inwood is always checking up on us, asking us how life is at home and how we’re doing,” Levan said.

Every year, McCarthy and Levan team up together for SkillsUSA, along with Andres Ramos, Ashley-Ann Paul, Jean Santana, and others.

Alessandra Argueta
Driving a forklift is one of the jobs junior Kaleb Levan does for Eagle Construction.

They take on all their projects together and take on jobs that have gotten them contracts with new companies. Senior Matthew Saez has worked for a construction company, and junior Kaleb Levan has worked for the school district, high paying summer jobs for students still in high school.

They plan on continuing their construction career through their senior year and after high school.

Inwood and his students are very passionate about what they do and what they’ve created for the school.

Inwood also runs an annual toy drive during the holiday season. The toys are sent to Old Town where they are collected.

They then go to the Osceola Council on Aging, where they are separated by volunteers and distributed to needy families.

“We collect anywhere from 300 to 500 toys every year,” Inwood said. “Students and teachers continue to donate every year. This helps the students get involved with the community and teaches them that giving is not always a bad thing.”

In the end, Inwood said it is about the students the surrounding community.

“We just want to help out children who can’t afford to have a Christmas.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Eagle Construction More Than a Class”

1. Betsy Middleton on January 23rd, 2018 8:19 AM

I have known Mr. Inwood for nearly 2 decades and his program has helped so many students! Not all students are going to pursue college degrees immediately after graduation, but through Mr. Inwood’s program, what a terrific career they are prepared for in various construction industries. I continue to see his former students in the community and they are leading successful and productive lives! We need to refocus education on building on the skills and interests of every student. I always tell my students that I have 2 children – one has 6 hours of college credit; one has a doctorate degree. Both are successful in their chosen careers, both are happy, and I couldn’t be prouder of each of them!

[Reply]

*

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Eagle Life

Vote For Mister & Miss Poinciana

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

News

Eagles Ink Expands Fashion Line With Embroidery Machine

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

News

Former Eagle Remembered For Talent and Warm Personality

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Opinion

Student Excited to Be Adopted

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Entertainment

Cast List Announced for Spring Musical

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Opinion

My Vegan Life

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Entertainment

REVIEW: For Big K.R.I.T. Fans ‘4eva’ is Right Now

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

News

Teen Celebrity Attended Poinciana

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Showcase

New Coach Takes Over Basketball Team

• Eagle Construction More Than a Class

Eagle Life

Student Takes Care of Family Farm

Eagle Construction More Than a Class