The Point

Speech and Debate Team Compete

Kathryn Hunter, Reporter

Poinciana has seen the emergence of its first speech and debate club.

Although the club was officially started last school year, the current sponsor, Erica Haglund, has brought more attention to the group than ever before.

Whether the students are interested in debates, speeches or acting, the speech and debate clubs is open for anyone with interest.

“I think this club can help anyone” said Haglund.

The meetings take place every Tuesday immediately after school, where different categories and their positions in competitions are discussed.Recently the speech and debate club has been involved in multiple competitions.

“I think that since Poinciana High School has never been involved in these competitions before, it is good for the students to experience it now and bring back their knowledge over how tough the competition are,” said Haglund.

One student that took part in a competition recently is Emily Hooker, a freshman at Poinciana High School who has been involved in the club since its first meeting this year.

“I think if you are someone who is a creative writer, this club is really good for you because you can write your own poetry and really express yourself through writing,” said Hooker.

When it comes time for competition, all of the speech and debate clubs from different schools in the county meet up to compete against other counties.

Through most clubs and sports, the schools within Osceola county compete against each other; however, with these competitions, students from so called “rival” schools have the opportunity to connect and collaborate.

Hooker said she now has friends from Liberty High School, Osceola High School and other schools in the county.

“Being able to talk to these students during competitions really brings us together,” Hooker said.