The Point

We See It. The School Culture is Changing.

The+Senior+Walk+debuted+at+Poinciana+two+years+ago+with+the+class+of+2016.+and+has+been+one+of+the+many+factors+that+has+helped+to+change+the+culture+of+PHS.+
The Senior Walk debuted at Poinciana two years ago with the class of 2016. and has been one of the many factors that has helped to change the culture of PHS.

File Photo

File Photo

Staff Editorial

The staff at The Point would like to commend the administration, faculty and students for the noticeable change in school culture at Poinciana.

The culture of the school is the collective set of values and beliefs, rituals and ceremonies, symbols and stories that make up the school.

For too long, students at Poinciana believed the negative image the local community incorrectly had of Poinciana.

School spirit was nonexistent, school clubs were poorly attended and morale remained low.

We knew the perception of Poinciana wasn’t quite right, but we also knew that that perception impacted the way we viewed our own school too.

But slowly, brick by brick, the administration made changes – some small, some great – that have put us to the place we are now.

And no change like this could be possible without a strong leader with a vision. That leader for Poinciana has been Principal Michael Meechin.

One noticeable change is the Senior Walk – now a Poinciana staple two years in the making – the parade of seniors in their cap and gowns walking the quarter mile to Reedy Creek Elementary is something to behold.

The young students at Reedy Creek outstretch their hands and wave signs as the new PHS graduates parade by.

All of a sudden, a school that never felt inspiring is now inspiring others. That’s how culture changes.

Now other schools in the county are doing their own Senior Walk, showing Poinciana’s impact extends further than our community.

There are also changes to the landscape of the campus, such as college pennants hanging everywhere, representing universities far and wide. Banners hang from each light pole, boasting the names of students who passed their AP exams last year.

The $7 million wing that was added to Poinciana also helped change the focus of students and faculty from negative to positive.

Also, The Point recognizes that the administration is allowing seniors to have more activities. Last year, the Color Wars took place on the football field for the first time and every senior was coated in the powdered paint.

There are more students enrolled in advanced placement classes and honors classes.

Students who never thought of themselves as scholars, now do.
Is Poinciana there yet? No. But it’s closer this year than it has been in the school’s history.

The Point staff feels strongly that this change in culture could not be possible without the administration and the faculty.

And to the students, The Point salutes your ability to embrace the changes at Poinciana.

Poinciana’s collective set of values and beliefs, rituals and ceremonies, symbols and stories are changing for the better.

A pride for Poinciana is emerging and the staff at The Point felt it was time to recognize what nearly every student felt but couldn’t quite put their finger on.

1 Comment

One Response to “We See It. The School Culture is Changing.”

1. Sarah Sierra on October 27th, 2017 8:54 AM

Excellent Article and VERY well said!!! I am proud to be a member of this amazing staff and leadership that we have.

[Reply]

*

• We See It. The School Culture is Changing.

Opinion

Sitting for Pledge a Legit Form of Protest

Entertainment

‘In The Heights’ Play Set to Debut Thursday

News

Black History Month Performances Wow School Community

Eagle Life

Vote For Mister & Miss Poinciana

News

Eagles Ink Expands Fashion Line With Embroidery Machine

News

Former Eagle Remembered For Talent and Warm Personality

Opinion

Student Excited to Be Adopted

Entertainment

Cast List Announced for Spring Musical

Opinion

My Vegan Life

Entertainment

REVIEW: For Big K.R.I.T. Fans ‘4eva’ is Right Now