Eagles Prep for Big Game at Wide World of Sports

August 24, 2017

Students at Poinciana High School are reeling after the Eagles won their first season opener in years after defeating Clearwater Academy Friday at home, 29-13.

And the excitement will continue later today when the Eagles will face off against Whittier Christian at Wide World of Sports, a game that could potentially be televised, which would be a first for Poinciana.

Players and coaches said they are hopeful that Friday’s win is a sign of more wins to come as the season continues to the first district game in a few weeks.

Eagles running back Omar Elisis scores a touchdown Friday at Poinciana during a game against Clearwater Academy. Poinciana won 29-13.

The Eagles are hyped and ready to continue their season on a winning streak.

Poinciana does not have the best history when it comes to football, but they have already majorly stepped it up from their past seasons.

They are ready to put up a fight despite the challenges they have faced in previous seasons with changes in coaching staff and roster.

“For a long time this football team has struggled. We haven’t had a lot of wins,” said Ken Knapcyzk, who is the head football coach. “But things are finally changing, and I think it’s great.”

Knapcyzk said that Friday’s win was a great confident booster for the Eagles and believes they will continue like this throughout the rest of the season.

“I’ve been with these boys for three years now, and I think they’ve finally realized what it is they need to do,” Knapcyzk said.