NASA: Solar Eclipse a ‘Once in a Lifetime Experience’

August 18, 2017

Poinciana High School students will have a chance on Monday to view a rare natural occurrence that only comes this way every few decades.

For about three hours on Monday afternoon a solar eclipse will pass over Poinciana, giving students and teachers a rare glimpse of the phenomenon.

But don’t just look at the sun directly because it could damage your eyes, said Vince Dyer, who teaches earth and space science at PHS.

The best time to view the eclipse in Kissimmee is 2:50 p.m.

The best way to view Monday’s eclipse, according to Dyer, is to have special solar eclipse glasses, which range in price from $15 to $2 and can be found at local retailers.

To be sure they are certified, look through the lenses. If it’s all dark and you cannot see anything but the sun, they will be safe.

Do not use regular sunglasses or phone cameras, Dyer said. Another way to view the eclipse is by using #14 welders glass.

If you can’t find the eclipse glasses for sale anywhere, sky gazers can make a simple eclipse viewer with a cardboard box.

Punch a small pinhole in one piece of cardboard and let the sunlight fall through that hole onto the second piece of cardboard, which serves as a screen held below it, explained Dyer.

An inverted image of the sun is formed, allowing you to view the solar eclipse safely.

Laurie Cantillo, spokesperson for National Aeronautics and Space Administration, said this is the first time a solar eclipse will pass over the entire country in about a century.

Cantillo, who worked as a broadcast journalist before joining NASA three years ago, said she is excited about Monday’s eclipse.

“This is a once in a lifetime experience,” she said.