The Point

Point Editor Selected for Reporting Internship with News Gazette

Editor+in+chief+of+the+The+Point%2C+Faith+Otero%2C+posing+with+Principal+Michael+Meechin+after+she+was+offered+an+internship+at+the+Osceola+News+Gazette.+
Editor in chief of the The Point, Faith Otero, posing with Principal Michael Meechin after she was offered an internship at the Osceola News Gazette.

Shinelle Saunders

Shinelle Saunders

Shinelle Saunders, Reporter

A journalism student at Poinciana High School was selected Thursday for a reporting internship with The Osceola News Gazette, the newspaper of record for Osceola County.

Senior Faith Otero, who is the editor in chief of school’s newspaper, will begin the spring internship this Wednesday at the Gazette’s Kissimmee newsroom.

The six-week internship is only the second awarded to a Poinciana student in the past three years.

Otero was notified that she was selected when the administration team, flanked by newspaper adviser Jim Ellis and several reporters from The Point, descended on her 4th period class.

“The Point is a great newspaper and Faith Otero plays a big part of the paper’s success,” said Principal Michael Meechin as he stood before Otero’s class.

Otero will meet regularly with Gazette editor Brian McBride and receive story assignments for publication. Otero will work closely with the reporters and editors there.

“It’s going to be really different from working with the staff here who are like family to me,” Otero said. “I love all the reporters and editors at The Point. They are all hardworking and talented writers and just good friends.”

Ellis, who has been the newspaper adviser at the school for four years, said that this will be great for Otero in a multitude of ways.

“I’m so proud of Faith,” Ellis said. “This is an experience that most college reporters don’t even get.”

Otero said she plans to attend the University of South Florida, where she will major in English and education.

“I want to continue writing as a columnist in college and this is going to give me experience that others won’t have,” said Otero, who writes a recurring column in the school newspaper. “This will give me a feel of the real world and the opportunity to write about things that happen beyond just our high school.”

Managing editor for The Point, Kelly Garcia, joined the administrators to surprise Otero with the announcement that her colleague had been selected. 

“I’m super excited for her,” Garcia said. “She works so much harder than anyone I know and she deserves it. It’s amazing to get to watch her progress.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Point Editor Selected for Reporting Internship with News Gazette”

1. Catalina Vaque on January 12th, 2017 4:34 PM

I so proud of my granddaughter Faith Otero she soooooo sweet n smart well behave and I am very proud of my daughter Kathleen &Irvin Otero to accomplish such beautiful young lady Faith grandma love you you deserve the best.

[Reply]

*

• Eagle Life

What Grade Do You Give President Trump?

• Point Editor Selected for Reporting Internship with News Gazette

Entertainment

Sounds of the Season to be Featured in Winter Concert

Opinion

OPINION: Racist Speech Should Be Outlawed

Opinion

My Strange Addiction: Vinyl Records

Entertainment

REVIEW: Ariel Pink Takes Fans Back to the ‘80s

Showcase

Coach Runs 100 Miles Without Stopping

Showcase

Volleyball Makes Unbreakable Bond

Eagle Life

Senior Class Pres. Is On A Mission

News

Is Social Media Making Us Sad?

News

Statewide Television Show Planned for Poinciana