The Point

SLIDESHOW: PHS Struts It’s Stuff at Prom Fashion show

Aiyana Ruiz, Reporter

Editor’s Note: Slideshow photographers are Jannelle Molina, Nashaly Ferrer and Maira Pena-Murillo.

Poinciana students gathered in the auditorium last week for the annual prom fashion show to watch their peers model the latest fads in formal wear.

For the $2 ticket fee, students began their long weekend by getting excited for the biggest dance of high school.

“Participating in the prom fashion show was honestly a highlight of my senior year,” said senior Sierra Barber.

David’s Bridal and Men’s Warehouse provided the dresses and suits for the student participants. They also handed out coupons to the audience to promote their stores in the prom season.

Stephanie Massa, one David’s Bridal employee that organized the fashion show, said this was her first year working on a high school show, but David’s Bridal had worked with PHS in the past to put this show together.

“The reason we’re here is to showcase our dresses,” said Massa. “Everyone in the audience gets a scratch off for a ten to fifty dollar discount on regular priced dresses at our store.”

Barber said the girls had designated days to go to David’s bridal and get [the dresses]. “I went on the first day because I just had to get a cute dress!” she said.

“Once we were there the lady in charge told us to pick two dresses that we would like to try them both on just in case somebody bought our first choice before the day of the fashion show,” said Barber.

Massa said the girls’ favorites were pulled from the store the day before the show.

Barber fell in love with her first choice, a strapless dress that she danced in at the show.

In fact, all the models gathered at the end of the show to throw a miniature prom dance party on stage.

Barber says the prom fashion show’s goal is to get students excited for prom. “It sure did get me excited!” said Barber.

“Students enjoy seeing their peers onstage,” said Barber, who thinks more people would have come if the show had been more publicized.

Edgar Lopez, who hosted the prom fashion show alongside the class president, Brianna Sanchez, said he believes it motivates students to attend “the most special night in their senior year of high school.”

He says he knows a lot of students that have trouble deciding on what to wear.

The show gives students an idea about what they can wear, what the latest prom fashions are, and how they can make their own fashion statements, said Lopez.

Lopez said he enjoyed connecting with the audience and models.

Participants agree that the show was a bonding experience.